So, as you can probably tell from the title, I’m in a bit of a dilemma. It doesn’t seem like whoever voted for Hope is going to come forward and break the tie, which means I have to do it, or host an entirely new vote. I’m not sure what to do, and after some reflection I’ve decided to be completely honest with you all about what’s going on and ask how you feel about the whole situation (assuming you care, I suppose – maybe I’m making too big a deal out of this whole thing, who knows).
Here is my dilemma:
a) Left to myself, I would probably choose Gabriel to be heir. If it had been a simple tie, that is probably what I would do. However, I cannot in good conscience make that decision, because
b) I feel like Hugo should have won the vote. This is because Hugo was actually winning up until the night before the vote closed. On that night, I was talking to some friends about the story and the heir vote, and one of them decided he wanted to participate. I made him read the intro chapters before he voted, but he hasn’t read the rest of the story. As far as I know, he doesn’t have much interest in the story, he just wanted to participate in the vote. He voted solely based on his own preferences, because I didn’t tell him what mine were, but
c) Because my friend (who voted for Gabriel to make the tie) is not a regular reader of the blog and has little investment in the story, I feel as if it would be wrong to count his vote. It feels like I would somehow be cheating those of you who do read and enjoy the story and so actually have investment in who becomes the heir – and the majority of you voted for Hugo.
d) I have no way of knowing whether all the other votes were legitimate. People may have voted multiple times, even accidentally (say, if it seemed like it didn’t go through the first time), or people like my friend who enjoy heir votes but don’t actually read the story may also have voted. So, following that logic, any or none of the votes could have been “legitimate”, and so I should either count every vote or discount the whole lot.
In light of the above, I have several options.
- Redo the heir vote, potentially between only the two boys, and hope we have a clearer outcome. This will take the longest, and might not even work.
- Declare Hugo the winner on the basis that, as far as I can tell, he was the favourite among my regular readers (although this may not be the case).
- Declare Gabriel the winner on the basis that my friend’s vote was as legitimate as any other from a non-reader, which some of the others may have been, and therefore the vote was a tie, to be left to my own personal preference.
- Wait until the person who voted for Hope comes forward and breaks the tie, which will probably happen at some point if they’re a regular reader, but may never happen if they just came by to vote in the heir poll.
- Ignore the vote and ask someone like a friend or family member to tell me who they prefer and just go off that (I don’t really want to do this, but it is an option).
So that’s what’s happened. I’m sorry everything has been all messed up and delayed, and maybe I shouldn’t be so bothered by it in the first place, but I want to be completely transparent with you guys. If you’re wondering, the reason I didn’t tell you all this about my friend earlier was because I did consider his vote legitimate, but upon further reflection, it felt dishonest, to me, to do so unless you agreed with me.
I always value your opinions on my story very highly, and so I ask once again that you tell me what you think of this latest development, and which of the above options you think would be best.
Thank you very much in advance.